OUR MISSION

“Reaching Up  Reaching Out”

OUR VISION

Our Vision

We reach up to God by:
  • Providing meaningful and vital worship
  • Cultivating rich prayer lives
  • Providing educational experiences such as:
    • Bible Study
    • Sunday School
    • Seasonal Studies
  • Practicing spiritual disciplines such as:
    • Tithing
    • Meditation
    • Fasting
  • Discerning our God-given gifts for Kingdom building
 

 

We reach out by:
  • Sharing the good news of Jesus Christ
  • Sharing God’s love in service to all
  • Establishing effective communication within the church and community
  • Enhancing relationships among individuals and among churches in the community
  • Offering worship which transforms lives
  • Relieving suffering and offering hope
  • Assessing and addressing the ever-changing needs of those around us

History

McCormick United Methodist Church had its origin at Mt Tabor, about two and one half miles north of the town of McCormick in 1883. The first minister was the Rev. John Thomas Pate. In 1884 the congregation voted to move to the town of McCormick. The old Mt. Tabor church building was moved on logs to McCormick during 1884-6 and set up on the current site facing Pine Street. The church building was turned to face Gold Street (Hwy. 378) in 1934. Outside walls were veneered with pink granite and a vestibule was added. Later, brass rails were installed on the front steps and a sign was erected. In 1948 a two-story education building was erected, and a larger education addition was added to the rear in 1967-68. In 1968 it also became the McCormick United Methodist Church when the Methodist Episcopal Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
 
The sanctuary was completely renovated in 1973. The high, rounded ceiling, which is a part of the old Mt. Tabor Church, was left intact. In 1977 the grounds were professionally landscaped and old shrubbery was replaced with new plants. In 1982 McCormick UMC became a mission sponsoring church. A forty-foot steeple was erected in 1985. A short time later, a family funded the installation of floodlights to illuminate the steeple. Both were given as memorials.
 
The first female minister to serve the Church was Rev. Mary Eskew Rowell, 1986-1991. She had the privilege of welcoming the first of many members from “Savannah Lakes Village”, when Jack and Esther Sanders transferred their membership to McCormick UMC from Christ Church, Louisville, Kentucky.
 

DISASTER RESPONSE PLAN

Please click the link below to view our Disaster Response Plan